My Answer to this FAQ: "What Style Am I?"
Photos: BanAvenue Photography | Houston, Texas
It's so good to be back after taking a (busy) week off of the blog! I hear this questions asked a lot and that is "What Style Am I?" In fact, I think I've probably done a Google search on it myself and wondered the same question many times throughout my life.
We all want to know what style we are. We hear words like trendy, chic, casual, edgy, feminine, boho, modern, minimilistac....I could go on and on. Okay, but do you REALLY know what all of that means? And most importantly, do you know which one you fit into? I certainly don't. Probably because I can fit into any one of them at any given time, right?
In these pictures, do you think I know what "style" I am? Nah. Does it even matter? Nah.
It's MY style. And I felt AMAZING wearing it. I could take a guess and say it's very edgy, editorial, and a little high-fashion (without the price-tag, of course!) and I could go on....Point being. It's me. I felt confident. I felt amazing. And isn't that all that matters?
Today I'm going to give you my 100% real and raw answer to what MY answer is to the question "What Style Am I?"
Hint: You're not taking a Style Quiz in this post. If that's what you were wanting, then you may be want to visit a different site. BUT FIRST, HERE ME OUT...because my answer will motivate you, empower you, and guess what? It's easy.
I want you to be the best version of yourself through YOUR personal style. That's why we call it personal, right? It's yours and nobody elses. Guys, this topic is something I am SO, SO passionate about. If you don't believe me, just read my Instagram bio.
So, when I talk about the topic of personal style...I get a little excited! I'm going to try my best to contain my excitement, but it's probably going to come through in the form of capital letters and exclamation points. Just stay with me....mmkay? I'm going to talk about some things to remember when asking yourself "What Style Am I?" and at the very end...I will give you my answer.
Things To Remember When Finding Your Style:
- Style yourself however you feel like styling yourself. You may have a completely different style from one day to the next. And guess what? That's totally OKAY. I've been known to be cute casual on one day and edgy chic on another day. Guess what? It's okay. Don't be afraid to mix it up and play around with different styles.
- Hardly anyone has ONE defined style. Or nobody that I know of, anyway. We are NOT supposed to fit into this little category of "style" that somebody has defined for us. Ummm, no. You do you. And you do that really well, my friend. We are all good at being ourselves. Do that.
- Let your spirit and soul shine through what you are wearing!! People want to see you and know you through your style. It can say so much about you! It's also one of the FIRST things people notice about you! Give people a reason to look at you. Have great style!!! This ties into my next point...
- Think about how you want people to react when they see you (dressed) for the first time. Again, what your wearing speaks volumes and whether we like it or not, first impressions can be everything! If you have a really great outfit on, with your personal style shining through...it's going to say A LOT about you! Something to keep in mind, right?
- Think about how you feel in a certain outfit. I'm a firm believer in the saying "Look good, feel good," Your confidence is directly correlated to your appearance, style, and how you look. Get dressed in something you are genuinely excited about wearing and then assess how you FEEL after you're wearing it.
- Be confident in what you are wearing. This also helps if you're comfortable in what you're wearing. Make sure it's not too over the top and/or risky (or itchy) or just not comfortable for you. Because you're probably not going to feel very confident in that. Again, very important to assess how you FEEL in an outfit. If you feel fabulous, the confidence will come naturally! Promise!
- Your style will probably change with time. Mine definitely has. It's constantly changing and evolving. And that's great. Let it evolve. Learn what you like and don't like at the time. But you know what? There are things that you will ALWAYS love and always be attracted to. So, find those things too. And hang on to them! :)
Sooo..."What Style Am I?"
Here's my answer:
You are whatever style you feel like rocking for the day. You are whatever style that makes you feel empowered, beautiful, valued, confident and worthy in that moment. You are a person with an ever-evolving and ever-changing style whose style may change from day-to-day and from year-to-year. And that's okay. You are NOT one defined style. You are NOT afraid to let your soul shine through your clothing. And that is a beautiful thing! You are you. You are amazing.
Embrace individuality with your clothing. Express your style. Make it authentic. Make it your own. Think about how you want people to see you. Think about how you want to FEEL. Be confident. Stay comforable. And don't be afraid to take risks, even if it seems like the smallest risk. Because you might love it. And you might hate it. But, guess what? Now you know for next time. And that is how you begin to LEARN your style.
That's my answer to your question, "What Style Am I?"
Get the Look:
I love, love, love talking about personal style and it is something I am super passionate about. Let me know your comments below on any thoughts about your personal style, and tell me what type of outfit makes you feel the most confident.
I have finally got around to sending out weekly emails again. If you're not subscribed, make sure you do so here, under the word "Subscribe." In my emails, I send over what's happening during the week on HEY JODE, social media, and any updates in my personal life. I also send over top-selling items and any new blog posts that you may have missed, so it's a great way to stay updated on what's happening on HEY JODE.
Have a great rest of your week, guys!