Ask yourself these questions to boost confidence today
Striped Linen Blouse- $24 at Kohls (similar H&M $25) | Embroidered Denim Skirt- Forever 21 (similar Dillards $58, similar $36 Bloomingdales) | Tan Slides $20 at DSW (avail in 8 colors!) | Cognac bag $30 at Old Navy (avail in 4 colors!) | Wood drop earrings- H&M (similar Dillards $16)
A little self-help/encouragement session today on the blog. Repeat after me. "I deserve to feel confident in what I'm wearing." Say it over and over until you truly believe it. It took me a long time to realize this and be comfortable in my own skin, but today I'm sharing some of my tips with you all today! It makes me sad to know that there are women there are out there who do not feel confident in what they're wearing, which leads to low self-esteem. I'm here to change that today by letting you in on a little secret. I have five questions that you're going to ask yourself while getting dressed each morning that will do wonders for your confidence! Plus, I may have some bonus tips at the end. Best part? You can start today! Let's dive in!
FIVE QUESTIONS TO ASK TO BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE TODAY:
What are my favorite things about my body and am I highlighting at least one of them today? For this outfit, hands down, I am highlighting my legs. BUT it doesn't have to be such large part of your body. Examples if you're not comfortable showing off this much leg, because I know everyone may not be! Highlight one of these areas instead: Ankles, neck, shoulders, back, arms, wrists, neck. Even something as easy as wearing your hair in a top knot to highlight your neck can be really flattering! What do you like about your body? Pick that area to highlight to feel good about yourself all day long! And you don't have to highlight the same area every single day. Switch it up!
Do I genuinely love the pieces that I'm wearing today? This is a big one. When you put something on, you should love it. Now...I realize there are those days when you just don't care what you're wearing and I get that. But if you wake up and want to look good, you need to pick pieces that you genuinely love and are passionate about, in order to feel your best. What we wear is directly related to our mood, it's a fact. This goes a long with having things you love in your closet, and getting rid of those that don't make you happy or you aren't passionate about (easier said than done tho, right?)
Am I going to care what others might think of me in my outfit today? I say it all the time, and I'll say it again. You do you. Personal style is PERSONAL. You should not care what others think about what you're wearing, but rather pick items that you love, highlight the areas on the body you love...and trust me, the confidence will come! If you feel good about yourself and don't care what others may think about you, it's a powerful thing. If you can practice not caring what others think, you're on your way to becoming more confident. (Keep reading to differentiate between confident vs. cocky!)
Am I physically comfortable in what I'm wearing today? Huge, guys. If you're not comfortable, you're probably going to look awkward, which in turns does not make you look the most confident. Pain is beauty? I disagree. I believe you should always, always, always go for comfort pieces that you physically feel good wearing. That's all I can say about that.
Do I think I look good? Okay, you're dressed. You've asked yourself the previous four questions while getting dressed. Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Ask yourself, " Do I think I look good?" Basically, are happy with how you look?? If you think you look good...you probably do. And that my friends, is confidence. Side note by the way: you don't have to dress fancy to be confident! Sometimes I feel the most confident in jeans a basic tee. Or heck, even my black leggings and a sweatshirt. These five questions work for all outfits. This article is not about dressing up to feel confident, but rather how to feel confident in the outfit you choose.
Photography by Arzu Vargas Photography
Remember back to when you felt like a million bucks. For some it might be your wedding day. For others, it might be prom, or it might be that time you wore a rocking outfit, put on a pair of heels and said "dang, I look good." But you know what? We all remember that. We remember those feelings. And let's all take a moment and agree that it felt sooo good to feel that confident. I can 100% say that I believe what you wear directly impacts your mood, the way you carry yourself, and how you conduct yourself. Of course, there are other factors. But we can ALL remember a time when we felt so confident in what we were wearing, right? If you have NEVER felt like that, then you need to get a hold of me ASAP, because I want to help you feel like that!
Of course......this is real life and let's have some #realtalk here. We are not going to feel that good every single day of our lives. That would be entirely too exhausting! However, you should still ask yourself these five questions every day before getting dressed. Now, that being said, there are days when I. just. don't. care. And you know what that's okay. Because #3 says...Am I going to care what others might think of me in my outfit today? If you literally don't care what anyone thinks and don't like to feel good in what you're wearing, then what do you need me for? The point I'm trying to make is this: Dress how YOU want to dress and in what makes you feel good, don't dress for others. The moment you do this, the confidence will come.
Of course there is a huge difference between being confident and cocky. Don't cross the line. We all know someone who has. Just don't do it. It's one thing not to care what people think about what you're wearing. And that's great. But it's a whole other things when you just flat out think you're better than everyone else. Hashtag #notcool.
Along with asking these five questions while getting dressed for the day, I'm also going to share a few other tips to help you get through your day with a little bit more confidence!
Photography by Arzu Vargas Photography
OTHER TIPS TO BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE:
- Accept compliments as they come! When someone gives you a compliment, the mean it! Shocker, right?! Say thank you. And that's all you have to say. Usually I'll throw in where I got the piece, for how much, blah blah blah just to strike conversation, but you don't have to. All you have to do is say thank you. And know that they are giving you a genuine compliment. So just receive it. You deserve it!
- Smile and remain positive throughout the day! Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. So wherever you are, just smile and make the best of it! You'll be amazed at how good it feels to smile :) Plus people around you will probably start catching on and smile with you!
- Own your look! Remember how I said before if you truly don't care what people think of your outfit of choice, then you don't need me. I highly doubt there are very many people who can truly truly say that (but hey I could be wrong!) Most of us care a little bit on how we come off to others, although once I hit the age of 30 I will say, I began to care a lot less! Anyways, fake it till you make it. If you've decided on that outfit, then own it girl.
- Put on a pair of heels. I don't know the science behind this. I just know it works. I've watched it happen to others and I've done it myself. Just do it if you need an extra boost.
- Apply lipstick. Same theory here. Lipstick, lipgloss, lip stain whatever you use. It literally takes two seconds. Take that extra two seconds and just put some on and watch the magic happen! This works the same way as heels. Put the two together and whoa. Look out!!
- Shave your legs. What? Did this one make you LOL? I'm sorry, I had to. But am I right?! I downright feel more powerful and confident once I've shaved my legs! I know y'all agree with me...There's just something about it! It has to do with self-care.
Lastly and most importantly....Do not compare yourself to others. I know, I know. We are ALL guilty. Even myself included, especially being in the blogging world now. But please, please, please don't fall into that trap. Where does that get us? It just gets us feeling worse about ourselves and downright awful. So you know what? Just stop. To truly be the bigger person here, be genuinely happy for that person and think of all the things you love about yourself. You are uniquely and beautifully made! Do yourself a favor and try my advice by asking yourself the five questions I mentioned above + these tips, and be the most confident person you can be.
Photography by Arzu Vargas Photography
- I am running a giveaway on Instagram for a chance to win a $250 Nordstrom gift card! If you haven't entered yet, you can enter here. Be sure to read all rules before participating and good luck! It'd be really cool if one of my readers won! Just saying..
- The fam and I will be heading to Iowa for a couple weeks for an Iowa Hawkeye football game and then my best friends baby shower after that! I'm so excited to have some time off and relax with friends and family. I may be taking a break from the blog while in Iowa. I haven't decided yet, but I will definitely keep you updated on what I decide :)
- Thank you to all my followers for taking to time to visit the blog, post your sweet comments on social media, and "like" my stuff. You don't know how much it means and it is truly flattering. I hope this is only the beginning of HEY JODE. I have bigger dreams, and it won't be possible without all of you. I truly, truly mean it when I say thank you. I just hit over 2.3K followers on Instagram after about 5 months of blogging, and my initial goal was 1K in a year. I have already hit my goal and more, and it just goes to show you that anything is possible. I encourage you to not let fear get in the way of your dreams and aspirations. Fear can be our worst enemy. So again, thanks to each and every one of you.
- Did you know that...If you like what you see from me, the best thing you could do to is share my blog post on your social media! If you'd like to do this: simply click the black social media icons below the key words in this post (just a few lines down from here.) I'd love if you did! Also, did you know that you can pin any image from my posts straight to your Pinterest account? Simply hover over the picture to pin. These tactics help me reach more people and allow me to help more women just like you by offering style tips, sales and deals, inspiration, motivation, encouragement and invite them to be part of this community we call HEY JODE. Thank you.