Jamaica Recap + Vacation Tips
Our vacation in Jamaica:
So as you may have know, the hubby and I got back from Jamaica last Friday, and we had an absolute blast! We are already planning our next big getaway. We both agreed it had been too long since the two of us snuck away for a vacation (5 years to be exact) We rekindled our romance, and got a little crazy in Jamaica, to say the least :) Yah mon.
We stayed at the Sandals Resort in Ocho Rios, and that place is huge! We liked being able to pick from a variety of restaurants to eat at. One night we had Italian, another night we had dinner with dockside view on the ocean, and for another dinner we enjoyed hibachi with our new friends from Scotland! I also liked that there were a few different pools to choose from during the day, so we could choose our hangout. We paid extra for a butler service that turned out to be a little disappointing, to be honest. We spoke with other guests who were quite pleased with their service, but we didn't feel the money was really worth it, as we could just do most things by ourselves, and our butler wasn't much help. In fact, she seemed annoyed when we asked her to do things for us. Sorry, just being honest with y'all. So I have to say....next time, I think we would opt out of the butler service for sure. All in all, the resort was 4/5 stars, in my opinion. Some points off for the butler service, but everything else was great. We would definitely stay there again!
So, the hubby and I prefer day-drinking better than night-time drinking, so we would wake up most days, and work out (yes, we worked out on vacation, lol), grab breakfast, head back to the room, and decide what to do for the day! We caught a few games of beach volleyball, which was mega fun. (My husband still thinks he's better than me.) Then we would usually go to the pool and get our dance on. Well, I did. The hubby did not, ha! I love that Jamaicans love to dance, because I do too!!! Although, I am not near as good as them. We would usually drink pina coladas by the pool or beach, and honestly just relax and do whatever we felt like. To us, that's an ideal vacation. One day, we did paddle boarding and some water sports. Another day, we took a glass-bottom boat tour, which was really neat. And y'all, the water is SO clear there...it's beautiful!
So the best thing about our vacation is that there were zero plans. We basically did what we felt like, whenever we wanted. Which is what a vacation for us is all about. I know people like to plan their vacations day by day, and thats totally fine and I get it, but when WE do that, it starts to feel not so relaxed. It feels so liberating to be able to do that while on vacation. Like, I think our lives are so structured and planned back in Texas, because, well they have to be, or nothing would get done! But being on vacation, its so nice to just do whatever the heck you want to, am i right?! Also, not having the kids to worry about was soooo nice! Of course, we missed them, and Facetimed them every day, but the hubby and I had some good time alone, just the two of us, which is so important for a relationship. A nurse I used to work with told me once...."your kids aren't going to be around forever, there's going to come a day when it's just you and your husband again, when they're all grown and out of the house, so make sure you keep that relationship alive". And it's so true. We had great conversation without being interrupted by kids, and kind of talked about our future plans in life, etc., etc. Very much needed!!!
We left the resort for one day to do some shopping, which made me a little nervous, because I wasn't really sure how safe it would be off the resort. We did have a bus from the resort take and drop us off, so that made me feel a little better, but everything turned out to be totally fine. The workers at the stores kind of hover over you while you're shopping, though, because they really want you to buy something, so that gets a little annoying, but we came back with some really great stuff! We brought back some Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee (the best coffee ever), Jamaican rum, and I got a couple handmade bags that I'm sure you'll be seeing soon :) We got the kids some clothes, and other souvenirs, which they were super excited about.
Theres something so relaxing to me about being near water.. I don't know if it's because I grew up in a lake town, or what. But when I think of a vacation.....I can't picture one without water?! Is that weird. I just LOVE being on the beach. My husband would rather be at the pool, but for me, bring on the beach!!!! We did spend a whole day on the beach, and got in the ocean and did some swimming, so I got my fix, but I just love sand between my toes, beach hair, and the sound of waves. Anyone else?!? My grandma lived on the lake growing up, and we would spend summers there, and I honestly think that has a lot to do with it.
What I want to pass on to you that I learned on our vacation:
- First of all, VACATION. You need a break from your everyday life. I'm not saying you have to do an all-inclusive trip or vacation to another country. Even a weekend getaway to a nearby place will work. Get away from the hustle and bustle of life, and plan a vacation. I'm telling you, its OKAY. Make memories, gain new insight, learn, explore, meet new people. Get out there and make it happen. As Nike says, JUST DO IT.
- Moms (and dads)- it's okay to leave the little ones back, and spend time with your spouse! In fact, it's encouraged. No distractions, nobodys needs to meet but your own! You'll miss your littles, but this time alone is so, so important with your spouse, so take advantage. And those cuddles from your babies will feel so good once you return to your little ones!
- Attempt to meet new people. Strike up conversation. The hubby and I feel like we're getting better at this, due to the amount of times we've moved in the past, lol, but we really enjoy being social with other couples! We actually met a super fun couple from Scotland, and guys, we all just hit it off! It was so interesting to hear how they do things in Scotland, compared to us in the United States. They were so friendly, and such good company. Plus their accents are bomb, haha! So fun to listen to them talk. We ended up meeting them on day 4/7, I think, and hung out with them every day until we left. So my point is...just say hi to a stranger! I promise, it won't kill you, and you never know...you might just hit it off, like we did!
- Don't plan much. If you plan, it starts to feel like something you have to do. I realize theres a decent amount of planning that needs to be done, as far as booking excursions while on vacation, and things like that. But don't book more than one thing per day, in my opinion. Do whatever your little heart desires! You're on vacation. There were days we went to bed at 10 pm, cuz we "felt like it", and that's okay. After all, it's YOUR vacation.
- Plan your next vacation! The hubby and I talked about doing a family cruise in December possibly. We live in Houston, so cruises port out of here all the time. We also talked about doing another all-inclusive trip either next year or the year after. We would definitely go back to Jamaica again! We also talked about Antigua or St. Lucia...Theres so many places in the Caribbean, its hard to decide! If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. We are no travel experts, by any means, so any help is appreciated. But another vacation is already in the works. We are not waiting another five years, that's for sure :)
- Make memories. You will always have them, and they will never go away. I'm so happy we decided to book this trip. I can say..."remember when"....and it will bring us both back to the time and place. Memories are so, so important, so make sure you're not being too boring on your trip. Get a little crazy! It's okay to put yourself out there and make some memories! Oh, and take some pictures along the way ;)
Thanks for reading, guys! I hope you enjoyed this quick recap of our vacation in Jamaica, and I encourage YOU to book your next trip! Life is too short, so get out there, and have some fun! You'll thank me later!
I'm seriously having the post-vacation blues as I'm writing this post, haha! Anyways, some pics from our vacation are below and outfit details are listed in captions, as well as exact or similar items linked for you to click on! Made it super easy for y'all!
Pictures and outfit details:
Sooo...where's your next vacation to? It can be big or small, I'd love to know where you're headed! HOW do you vacation, and WHERE is your favorite spot to visit?! Comment below!
Until next time!