Q & A: Ten facts about me
I decided to get a little more personal on the blog today! I've been doing the blogging thing for a couple months now, and really felt like now was a good time to get a little more personal. I truly want y'all to feel like you know me (if you don't already), and I realized I haven't shared a personal post yet, so here we are! I really love connecting with the bloggers that I follow, and thought it would be helpful for my readers to know more about the girl behind these blog posts :) I'm going to do it Q & A style! So here goes...
1. Where did you go to college? After high school, I went to a small private college in Iowa to play volleyball. After only a semester there, I transferred back home. I wanted something "more" out of college, and needed time to figure out what I wanted to do. I transferred to a community college near my hometown in Iowa for a semester while living at home. Next, I transferred to another larger community college near Iowa City, IA to take my pre-requisites for nursing school, got accepted into nursing school that semester, and then ended up (finally) at the University of Iowa, which is where I graduated nursing school from. So, yes, if you're doing the math, my parents moved me to four different colleges in four different semesters. Whoa. They were always super patient with me, and always so supportive. But I think if I told them I wanted to move one more time, they may have gone nuts! Thanks, mom and dad!
2. Why did you start blogging, and why did you pick fashion? I started blogging, because I had an "aha" moment. Like, "what if I can do this?" I followed bloggers, mostly fashion bloggers, and just thought "hey, I think I could do this." I started out knowing NOTHING about blogging, and am just learning as I go. I consider myself a creative person, and this is my creative outlet that I can do for myself. I am really enjoying it thus far, and am excited to see where it takes me! I picked fashion, because it was the one thing that I thought I could write the most about. Plus, I have a serious passion for fashion :) Cliche right? Also, I've always had people tell me they like what I'm wearing, or ask me where I got pieces from. So...it just seemed fitting. I want to provide my readers with their own personal style and some daily inspiration for getting dressed in the morning, as well as some general life lessons I've learned along the way. I also blog about my life, so not everything is related to fashion or style, although that is definitely the majority of it!
3. How do you have time to blog? This is the question I seem to get asked the most. And the truth is....I don't. But I make time. Because I enjoy it. I am not a morning person at all (maybe because my job currently has me working nights), so a lot of times, I will do my work when everyone else is in bed for the night. I might stay up until 1 AM or so, finishing up a post, or editing photos. This is the time of day when I'm most creative. My mind is constantly thinking about content I could create, or where I could do my next photo shoot. I have to balance my work life, home life, mom life, blog life, etc. It's crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm the type of person who needs to stay busy, so it actually fits my personality. I go crazy if it sit still for too long! Is that weird? :)
4. What cities have you all lived in? I will tell you all the cities I've lived in after college, because y'all know now that moved a lot while deciding which college to go to! After graduating from the University of Iowa in 2008, I moved to Waterloo, Iowa where I got my first job. After less than a year, I moved to Des Moines, Iowa to get more of a city life, and for a new job. I got engaged shortly after, and my husband (fiancé at the time) and I moved to Baton Rouge, LA. We lived there without kids, bought a house, and often took weekend trips to New Orleans. We had an absolute blast! After two years in BR, we moved to Las Vegas, NV. After a week of living in Las Vegas, we found out we were pregnant with our first (totally unplanned!) We lived in Las Vegas for four years, and had two kids there. We moved to the Houston area in spring of 2016, and have been in the area for about a year. We move often for my husbands job, but are hoping to settle down soon.
5. What are your guilty pleasures? Sweets! I have a major sweet tooth. Specifically...cookie dough ice cream, and anything with dark chocolate in it. Haha! I HAVE to have a piece of dark chocolate once a day....or I'll go crazy! lol! I also love a warm cup of coffee to wake me up in the morning...I also don't mind a cup of coffee any time of day, really ;)
6. What do you do for a living? I am actually a registered nurse. I work two nights a week in a NICU, and absolutely love what I do. Working nights can get hard, but working two shifts a week is a good balance for me between work and home life. I absolutely love what I do, and encourage anyone who's thinking about going into nursing to go for it! My mom is a nurse, too, so she has been a huge influence for me!
7. What are your hobbies? I like to spend time with my family, whether it be going out to eat, a picnic in the park, or a walk around the neighborhood. It doesn't matter, and can be as simple as sitting on the patio together listening to music, as long as we're spending time together. I'm also really into fitness and working out (future post, anyone?) I try to work out six days a week. I also like to shop (obviously!) and enjoy reading when I have the time.
8. What were you like as a child? As a small child, I loved to color. And dress myself into some pretty wild outfits. (My friends can vouch for this.) I also took dance class, starting at age three until into my middle-school days. In high school, I did band for a couple years, but was mostly involved in athletics. Volleyball was my favorite, but I also did basketball, and softball for a few years. I was voted "most athletic" in my graduating class.
9. Whats one thing you're working on as a person? Hmmm, lots of things! I'm trying to be more patient with my kids. I'm trying to not be on my phone too much around my kids. I'm trying to take care of MYSELF, as well as everyone else in my family. I'm trying to plan more, and not procrastinate, although I'm not sure it's working, ha! I'm continually trying to better myself, and often set personal goals that are realistic and I feel like I can achieve. I'm also trying to be "present", and work on living in the moment. Honestly, I could go on and on. What is one thing y'all are working on?
10. What does a typical day look like for you? On a day that I'm not working, my husband is off to work early, he usually leaves the house around 6:30 am or so. The kids and I usually sleep in until 9 am. Yes, my kids love to sleep in, and it's amazing! I will get breakfast ready for all of us, and I usually try to run errands soon after that. Running errands with kids always takes twice as long, so I try to limit to two errands a day. After that, we will come back for lunch, put my little one down for a nap, and my oldest and I will either play a game or I'll let her watch a TV show. Or, we will clean up around the house. She loves to help me clean!
I have usually posted my photo to Instagram and Facebook by now. (Usually I plan the night before which photo I'm posting, so I don't have to think about it.) Throughout the day, I will also check any sales going on, check up on other bloggers I follow, or see whatever else may be happening on social media. After we put Caleb down for a nap, I will try to work out. I work out in our garage, and Kinley usually plays in there while I work out. I usually try to do 30-45 min. of exercise a day.
By the time Caleb wakes up, I'm ready to get out of the house again, so we may go for a walk or head to the park. By the time that's over with, it's dinner, playing with daddy when he gets home, baths if needed, and bedtime. Which, by the way, bedtime is ALWAYS a struggle at our house. If anyone has any tips for me, please let me know! My kids NEVER want to go to bed, seriously. They are usually in bed by 9 pm, and then it's Adam and I's time together. Yaaasss! We will usually grab our Halo Top ice cream, and cuddle up in the movie room and watch a show together. Then, it's bedtime for us, unless I have work to do on the blog, then I'm up doing that. Whew! That makes me exhausted just talking about it! Haha, but I love my crazy, beautiful life :) I wouldn't have it any other way.
Hope you guys enjoyed getting to know me a bit more. Comment below if y'all have any more questions for me, and I'd be happy to answer!